Saturday, July 15, 2006

I have the utmost appreciation for....

Anita and Chris and all the other people in the world who choose to double up on a vespa. I just drove home with Chris on the back and it was HARD my arms are aching and I am exhausted from the stress of it. It's really hard to manage.

Let me tell you a little story.....

I started dating Chris in September 1996. In May 1997 was the annual Tundra Schmucks Scooter Rally on the American side of Niagara Falls. That year, Chris was riding his brother's bike which was only a 1 seater. I wanted to go but had no seat. Anita, graciously, offered to take me on hers even though she had only broken up with Chris just before I started dating him.

Well, that was a trip to remember. It was May, Raining, Midnight before we left and COLD. We (I use the royal 'we') decided that to make up time, we would jump on the QEW, just for a minute... Well, Dave who was our leader that night got ahead of the rest of us and although he wanted to get off and we wanted to get off didn't for fear of losing us (I think). So here I am, QEW 2 am, POURING rain, doubled up with Anita, following Dave on his cut down Lambretta, Niall on his Lambretta and Chris on his brother's P2 cut down. It was scary when I think about it.

We drove along for quite some time and I don't know what time it was when we were pulled over but this really nice cop stopped us and told us that we had lost someone. Niall had seized his bike ages back and these cops had who been watching us insane people on 150cc, 180 cc and 200 cc (the top speed on a vespa P200 is 120k and believe me you DO NOT want to do that) scooters drive along the freaking highway. Well, Niall eventually caught up and we managed to get to Niagara in one piece, 6:30 am on Saturday morning. I remember the time because we couldn't buy beer until 7 am. To finish this story quickly, we had a great time, drove back and I REALLY appreciate Anita for 1) driving me to Niagara and 2) Doubling me up all the way there and back. And people wonder why she was a bridesmaid?

I also Appreciate Chris who drove me to Mallory Town (outside Kingston) with the above mentioned people on his 150 cc Lambretta. The story is a good one, and I will tell it later but lets just mention that it took us 22 hours to get there and 18 to get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home